Friday, May 14, 2010

Osler wins!

Just a very quick one: Here's John Gray's account of Dave Osler's legal victory yesterday. Jack of Kent (his account is here) called me on Wednesday night and said "come to the Royal Courts of Justice tomorrow at 10am."

I did as I was told, sat in the wrong courtroom watching a fascinating dispute about Leylandii while next door Dave got the judgement he was hoping for. I took some pics here and anyone who wants to is hereby permitted to do so (I'm waiving copyright).

So congratulations to Dave and best wishes to John Gray and Alex Hilton who are still fighting this one.

For anyone who came for drinks afterwards, Jack massively overstated my involvement in this. Dave and Jack are both friends of mine - I'd picked up that Dave was not enjoying the impact that the action was having on his personal life and I suggested they may like to talk to each other a while ago. That's all.

Jack and his mate Robert Dougans heroically stepped into the breach at this point and did tons of selfless and effective work for Dave. Robert - a roaring Tory and Dave, an ex-trot lefty are not what you'd normally call a marriage made in heaven, but this is one of those issues that I think cuts across traditional political cleavages.

Which brings me to the reason I'm writing this: I think that there is an emerging cross-cutting constituency that disagrees on lots of big social and economic issues, but that is strongly united on these issues. I'd really like to do anything I can to help bring this group of people together and is anyone else is interested, please let me know.

Now is quite a good time for this sort of thing, by the way....

2 comments:

Daniel Harris said...

Forest forever. Who needs the Premiership. I was at the second leg against Blackpool and we lost our nerve at 2:1. That's all I have to say on anything these days.

Oh, and thanks for visiting my blog Ragged Trousers. It's only a week old.

Paulie said...

Can't remember how I found it Daniel.

Just out of interest, I have a Daniel Harris in my dim-and-distant memory working for a Trade Union - the pic looks familiar as well.

Is that you by any chance?