Thursday, January 07, 2010

Linking to your own posts

I think a lot of the better bloggers understand something that a lot of journalists struggle with a bit. Journalists are used to being given a word-length and a deadline: 600 words by noon. They write a set structure and each article is self-contained.

Two Northern Ireland-based bloggers that I quite like are a case in point. Take Malachi O'Doherty or Anthony McIntyre, for instance. Both people who have a long track-record writing for print, and both - I think - good honest writers by the standards of most journalism.

Contrast this with the way that Pete Baker writes on Slugger O'Toole. Each post of his almost contributes to a wiki designed to flesh out what Pete believes (and I'm not questioning his view here) to be a consistent world-view.

In Pete's case, its an update to a comprehensive very long post and in itself, I'd argue that it has to be a bit more honest than most journalist's articles (and blog-posts by journos). He creates a pressure on himself that journalists often manage to avoid.

I'm not saying this to have a pop at Malachi or Anthony either. Or anyone who doesn't fill their posts with hyperlinks to their previous posts. It's just I think that referring to your own previous posts is a daring rather than narcissistic act.

No comments: