Friday, September 04, 2009

Sing all our cares away

Yesterday, I posted a link to a Damian Dempsey song - I came across it a while ago, but heard it again the other night which prompted me to link to it.

I really can't get it out of my head. The lyrics are a bit mawkish at times, and his songs often have a bit of a sledgehammer quality about them, but do listen to it again if you can - get to the line about 40 seconds in:
"Stevie smashes the delf, cos he can't express himself,
He's consumed by rage, like his father at his age...."
Like I say, not subtle. But listen to the vocal treatment that Dempsey gives that line. It's just fantastic. Innit?

Also, it's good that his Dublin accent sort-of dictates what he writes. Only a Dub could rhyme 'boil' with 'smile.' I met the actress Dillie Keane once - she was playing in 'Juno and the Paycock' in Leicester at the time and did a very good Dublin accent. He told me that you only needed one word to unlock the whole dialect: Mushrooms. Or Mush-eer-ew-ums.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry mate, great tune which I've known since its release but the linenis "Stevie smashed Adele" That'll be his girlfriend then...

Paulie said...

Is that what it says? It kinda gets lost in his accent - I wasn't sure if it was 'stevie's smashed today' or 'stevie's smashed again' - didn't realise it was 'Adele'?

Anonymous said...

Sorry to but in, but the line does end with 'delph'. That's why he rhymed it with 'self'. He wouldn't smash his girlfriend because he couldn't express himself...well, maybe - but he's more likely to throw plates at the wall, and it makes more sense. Plus, if you listen again, you can hear the 'fff' sound at the end of the word.

Paulie said...

That's what it sounded like to me - and that's what this page thinks as well...

http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/3530822107858590601/

From what little I know of Dempsey, he doesn't seem to be the sort of bloke who'd go out excusing wife-beating or whatever....