Saturday, January 10, 2009

Warm up your living room this cold Saturday

I know I've banged on about this before, but you really should subscribe to Gilles Peterson's podcast, but I'm going to do it again. Well, he's gone a bit quiet lately - I hope he's not stopped doing them.

Every now and then, I find one that I didn't get around to listening to at the time, and it's always a pleasure. This one interviewing Aaron Jerome, and listening to his stuff is particularly lovely (vol 1, no.17). It starts with a great cover of Terry Callier's Dancing Girl, it's got some good African fusion and some really nice Talking Loud-ish Acid Jazz (which you'd expect from GP I suppose...).

Nearly an hour's worth of good stuff there. Go get.

Here's the original of Dancing Girl. As a song it has that bit of Leonard Cohen's Hallelulia's potential for misinterpretation that means it will probably crop up on X-Factor next Christmas...



Remember where you heard that prediction first....

3 comments:

mikeovswinton - don't let it happen said...

Terry Callier's material on X Factor? No. Thrice nay as Frankie H used to say. I hope you are wrong from the bottom of my heart. Howsabout some Ordinary Joe or I don't want to see myself up on one of your posts. The only person who should sing Terry's songs is either him or the Dells ("The love we had"). Ever seen him live?

Paulie said...

Saw him quite a few times Mike. I like his Northern-esque stuff less than his mid-70s 'Fire on Ice' recordings, and I really liked Time Peace when it came out.

I saw him duet with Beth Orton once - he embarrassed her - she couldn't hold a tune in a bucket.

mikeovswinton said...

Last time he played Manchester it was 200yards from where I live. There was a group talking at the bar and the bulk of the audience told them to shut up or get out in no uncretain manner. His new CD is due out March so keep an eye out for some dates around then. His UK band (Mullen Kibble Plumley etc) is pretty useful.