Thursday, November 20, 2008

An cúpla focal in your ear

It seems that an Irish Language Act is to introduced in Northern Ireland shortly. What 'introduced' means, exactly, I don't know as the ways and means of Stormont are something of a closed book to me.

Either way, I'd find it hard to be against such a thing as I'm generally keen on structural rules that disrupt the flexibility of cultural markets. The protection and enhancement of languages provides for the kind of cultural interventionism that I'd like to see more - not less - of.

Yet I can't help thinking that they may end up being just another peg to hang the ubiquitous sectarian needle that lurks in every corner of Northern Irish political discourse.

How long before an Ulster Scots Language Act is introduced as well?

No comments: