Saturday, August 02, 2008

Application for funding

I've just decided that I want to go to Nottingham with my daughter on an impromptu visit, but I'm not looking forward to having to go all the way into London (at least 40mins) and then pay a fairly hefty train fare to do it.

I now have over 170 friends on Facebook (or 170 people who pretend to like me but secretly hate me, as I like think of it). Now, if you were to take just one degree of separation (I'm no mathematician, by the way) I suspect that there are at least people 10,000 who are friends of friends on Facebook.

At least one of them is probably driving between up the M1 from London with a couple of spare seats in their car in the next hour or so. If I could pay them, say £15 for the lift, it would be good for them and good for me. They would be able to contact our mutual friend and verify that I'm not unhygienic / psychopathic / boring ...

OK, my plan has a flaw. But let's just pretend that I'm none of the above for a minute.....

I could also check that - in return for my £15, I won't have to listen to The Scissor Sisters or The Rolling Stones on the car stereo. I could even have a set of ground-rules on my Facebook profile that would outline my preferences, and my driver could do the same.

I think that this plan could save the environment and earn me an OBE. Can I have a load of cash to develop it please?

4 comments:

Bob Piper said...

Paulie, don't ever let them say you're unhygienic or psychopathic...

Paulie said...

If only I could truthfully return the compliment Bob...

;-)

Tim Worstall said...

https://www.liftshare.org/uk/comstart.asp

No Facebook interface but....

Paulie said...

Tim - ta for that. I'd meant to put a link to liftshare in and to mention the need for a Facebook API but I got distracted and hit 'publish'