- Local radio is crap
- Ad revenue is falling for local media
- The BBC is squeezing local media (and given the lack of investment from local media outlets, can the BEEB be blamed for bridging this market failure?)
- Local radio stations are being hit by the increased level of regulatory oversight - can they afford the fines that national media shrugs off?
- Journalists value national exposure and aren't interested in even writing up local stories for local audiences
- Regional news on TV is underfunded
- ITV is even prepared to abandon it's privileged status as a public service broadcaster because it's PSB obligations (local news included) are perceived to be too expensive.
- Local journalists being squeezed and further disintermediated by a fatal combination of big media and local bloggers.
Does this combination of circumstances fatally undermine all other projects that are intended to improve the quality of democracy?