Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Seven songs

A tag from Martin.

"List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what the genre, whether they have words, or even if they’re not any good, but they must be songs you’re really enjoying now, shaping your spring. Post these instructions in your blog along with your 7 songs. Then tag 7 other people to see what they’re listening to."

‘Bad luck is all I have’Eddie Harris – the title track from one of those LPs that you suspect would be massive if more people had heard it. I discovered it after finding a different track from the LP (‘Get on up and dance’). It’s a really extraordinary LP, very unconventional, bits of it teeter on the abyss between modal and free jazz, but it’s still great fun. It’s one to listen to with the headphones on, and expect surprises. BLIAIH is a long, funny blues.

Amazon are selling it back-to-back with the almost-as-good ‘How Can You Live Like That’ LP.

Fetch!

‘Shelter’Bedouin Soundclash – a bit of ska revival from a couple of years ago. For some reason, it reminds me of the long hot summer of 1981 when Nottingham rioted. Again, the whole album is worth having.

‘Man at C&A’The Specials – older ska revival. The soundtrack to Nottingham’s riots. I love the swampy mix of ska and dub – I’ve been digging this stuff out ever since I saw The Splitters playing a pub in Nottingham after Forest’s mighty triumph a the other Saturday.

Black Gold of the SunRotary Connection. For almost the same reason as I like the Harris LP – lots of electronic widdling under an irresistible groove.

We Live in Brooklyn BabyRoy Ayers – proto hip-hop. Lovely stuff.

My Elusive DreamsRay Lynam and Philomena Begley. I’m thinking of going to The Galtymore for their closing night with Big Tom, the godfather of Irish Country music. Ray and Philomena are the son and holy ghost respectively. It’s an evening that may mark the end ‘London Irish’ as a major identifiable ethnic group.

There was a time when one part of north London was ‘County Kilburn’ – not any more. Most of the big dancehalls – The National, The Gresham, The Forum have closed (or are doing other things), and the Galty is the only one left that I’ve been to before. I don’t have any Big Tom on CD, so I played My Elusive Dreams last night when I was thinking about it all.

And finally, 'We'll Live and Die in These Towns' by The Enemy. Because it was on in a shop yesterday and I've not been able to get it out of my head - the sheer Jam-ishness of it.








I really can't bring myself to tag anyone else though. Apart from, maybe Darren who seems to care about this kind of thing as much as I do. And maybe Andrew. And Hak because it will probably annoy her. And .... no. That's it.

4 comments:

Andrew Brown said...

Too late. But I may do it again, just because I had fun doing it first time, and seven is not enough songs for a season.

mikeovswinton baby said...

We live in Brooklyn Baby. Ever heard Mr Ayers do it live? He tends to put in the line (in England anyway) "We shop at Tescos baby". Just thought you might like to know that.

bob said...

Paulie, What excellent taste in music you have! Eddie Harris, the Specials: very cool. Bedouin Soundclash are not quite as good as their name. I like their version of "Guns of Brixton". I love that Roy Ayers song, which reminds me of when I used to go clubbing at places Gilles Peterson DJed.

mikeovswinton and Dizzy's Place if I'm lucky said...

As this is a musical item and as Mr high and mighty Geras doesn't allow the plebs into his blog, can I register a protest against his carrying a piece deriding the excellent Mr Phil Schaap of Jazz at Lincoln Centre.