Tuesday, May 20, 2008

A good day for Parliament

I think I'd rather stick needles in my eyes that get involved in a debate about human embryology. But I think that it is at times like this that Parliament comes into it's own and is at it's best.

It also rather makes the case for free votes, the absence of party whips, and for Parliament being less of a hothouse.

When Parliament is like this, I think that it makes the case that long prescriptive manifestos are probably not as good an idea as they appear to be during the run-up to elections.

A couple of months ago (I think it was a Sunday evening), there was a very good programme on Radio 4 about how the impact of broadcasting on Parliament had made the quality of deliberation a good deal worse than even the most trenchant opponents had feared.

Look as I might, I can't now find a link to the programme anywhere on the BEEB's 'listen again' service though.

1 comment:

the suspect said...

i trust our government to work on salient issues. even here in singapore, parliament debates and deliberations, thoug scarcely broadcasted, is something to watch.

at least we know that they are finding issues substantiated and at the end of the day, it should be for our good that should be prioritized.