Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Managing the electorate

A quick point: A friend and I have been discussing this proposal to make voting compulsory (as part of a wider voting reform package). He made the following observation:
"...politics has turned into a profession with a technique in which the manipulation and management of the electorate, rather than its representation becomes the driving force in the struggle for control of the levers of power."
... which is a pretty good point, I think. It sort-of puts a dent in my position that political parties and politicians need to become more professional and that they should start elbowing civil servants out to replace them with their own people.

But it's not really my job to point out the holes in my own arguments, is it? Or is it?

No comments: