Friday, December 14, 2007

Yuletide cheer

Christmas greetings to Popinjays everywhere.

Also, there's a Forest blog that I didn't know about until now. Follow that link to Russell Brand's article in last Saturday's paper (saying that England should hire Mourinho as a penance for not having hired God in the late 1970s.

There are two sorts of people in this country. Those who like Russell Brand and those who don't. I'm in the former camp on this one. I particularly liked this:

"In his pomp Clough would’ve been a marvellous England manager - he vibrated on a plane of consciousness that made him a formidable leader but unnerved administrators. It is widely assumed that the reason he didn’t get the job is because the FA didn’t think they’d be able to control him - and they probably couldn’t have. That’s one of the reasons he’d've been bloody good.

If you have not yet guessed that I’m building towards a rather grand fanfare in support of the appointment of Jose Mourinho then you don’t deserve a newspaper and I suggest you take this copy of the Guardian, God’s newspaper I call it, and thrust it into the palms of an orphan who will be grateful of the nourishment. I think that by appointing Mourinho we can as a nation atone for the criminal neglect of Clough’s talent."

6 comments:

Phil BC said...

Yes, Russell Brand is funny. It's the olds that don't get him.

Paulie said...

Odd - there's something very old fashioned about his style - something quite 'Round the Horne'-ish. Oddly, as a 40-something, I think he's aimed more at my generation than any other.

Will said...

Agreed on Brand.

very likable person as well.

Richard Havers said...

Clough was also a bully and a drunk. Not a healthy combination.

Darren said...

I neither hate him nor love him.

What is wrong with me? Why don't I have an opinion on Brian Clough? If pushed, I'd say he was a poor man's Jimmy Sirrell.

Will said...

Cloughie for the England job