Tuesday, October 23, 2007

A second attempt to improve all of your lives

The other day, I posted urging you to download Gilles Peterson's podcast. If you didn't, and aren't planning to, let me have another crack at you.

Featured in that show is a pianist called Elan Mehler. Towards the end of the recording, he plays a cover of Gillian Welch's 'Elvis Presley Blues' - an intriguing choice as it's an old-timey tinged piece of folk-country.

In the podcast, the studio version of Welch's song is followed by Mehler's interpretation. I've listened to it half-a-dozen times and I can't get either tune out of my head (and I don't mean that in a 'Careless Whisper'-type bad way either).

If you don't want to listen to the podcast, the least you could do is play the (admittedly poorly recorded) live performance of the song by Welch (YouTube clip, below) followed by Mehler's version on his MySpace page here.

I promise you you'll be glad you did. But not as glad as you would be having listened to the podcast.



Do it. Don't make me beg.

No comments: