Friday, October 26, 2007

Hey Norm!

At my local tech-shop, they know me very well - a bit like in Cheers when Norm walks in, everyone goes 'Hey Norm!' - they're like that with me at the local geek-emporium.

I may even buy something off them one day. The Bloke Behind The Counter's hopes were raised on Saturday. I went in to tell him that I'm thinking of getting a half-decent PC with lots of multimedia options for home entertainment.

We spent a while negotiating the right spec at the right price. At the end, I said, 'How much for a copy of Vista as well?'

He went pale. "I'm not supporting Vista. It's a pain in the arse. Everyone that I've helped with an upgrade has spent every waking moment since trying to get XP back."

"OK" I said. "Back to square one. I'm going to have to spend more, aren't I? Let's spec out a Mac."

"I don't sell Macs" he replied, knowing that I'd wasted yet another half-hour of his time.

Here's the Register welcoming the new Mac OSX variant. The only drawback I can think of is that BBC's iPlayer doesn't work on it .... yet.

I want one. Any grateful regular readers fancy making a donation?

4 comments:

Jura Watchmaker said...

Donation? Of a Mac? Cheeky monkey! I can sell you a nice white MacBook that's only a few months old. But that's not what you want, is it, for a home entertainment system? I'm the proud owner of a new (aluminium) iMac, and if you're after a desktop machine I definitely recommend these. The performance is rather good considering that laptop components are used.

Lord Nazh© said...

Never had a problem with Vista Hippy :)

mutleythedog said...

I have a keyboard and a mouse to donate but you will have to pay for shipping yourself!!

Paulie said...

Jura / Mutley,

I'm more interested in money as a donation - preferably banknotes in a brown envelope with non-consecutive serial numbers or whatever it is that banknotes have on them.

It would help me in my investigations of corruption. I'd like to know what it feels like to get bribed.

I've got plenty of mouses and keyboards, but the offer is very kind all the same mutley.

So. Cash. Tens, twentys and fifties. In brown envelopes. All of you. Chop chop.