Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Welcome aboard Comrade

Quentin Davies' letter to David Cameron laid out what was - for me - the most respectable of all possible reasons for leaving a political party. Cameron neither understands nor cares to provide decent or responsible representation.

It's a detail that should obscure any debate on actual policies, and it's refreshing that Davies has chosen it as the public reason for doing what he has done (whatever the real reason may be).

While I was never very enthusiastic about other Tory defectors, I think that there is - at the moment - a place for pro-democracy Tories in The Labour Party, and if it helps us to make responsible representation the battleground that Labour fights the next election on, this can only be a good thing.

Tony Blair's early years (with the obvious exception of his resolution over Kosovo) were terrible, precisely because of Labour's disregard for many of the basic standards of liberal democracy. That this is an attack on them for staking out ground that Brown is thankfully abandoning makes me very optimistic about the future of my party.

(Just before hitting 'publish', I notice this in my RSS reader. Great minds...)

4 comments:

Shuggy said...

I thought Paul Anderson was being ironic?

Not too keen on these Tory defectors. This character finds Cameron's attitude to Europe beyond the pale but he sat through the leadership if IDS? Come on...

Lucyp said...

Not so sure about Brown, he seems very tainted by what Blair got up to. I would like to think i could take a 'wait and see' attitude to him but at the back of my mind, i see him sitting there agreeing with Blair on Iraq and all his other contentious decisions.

Anonymous said...

The man is a Tory sheep abuser- very New Labour.

Tim Pendry said...

I am with you, Paul, and I've been saying the same on the Compass site, getting called a Tory-entryist for my pains (me? amazing?). Of course, I remain a thorough euro-sceptic and, as a Left-nationalist (proud to be one), see the rot that led to the current round of car bombs starting with acceptance that the Kosovo intervention was not highly morally ambiguous and ill-thought out. But Davies, Digby and West are a small price to pay for middle class acceptance of a solid redistributionist Labour Government instead of rule by rate- and tax-cutting small town estate agents, car dealers, village bumpkins and middle managers from the 'creative industries'.