Tuesday, June 05, 2007

In the absence of anything much to say...

This post is just here to confirm that I don't have anything that is very original or interesting to say at the moment.

Sorry about that now.

I've had a post in my drafts folder for some time provisionally entitled “open source? What about cars then?” but I can't even use that now.

The idea - the one that I thought was spectacularly (such a good simple idea that I'm amazed no-one has thought of it yet) good, runs like this:

I reckon that large groups of people could specify and source a white label basic car that aims to strike a balance between low emissions and affordability (the two are mutually exclusive at the mo). They would collectively create blueprints for components – ones that would be designed with interoperability in mind - that would have a suitably loose copyright arrangement, so that people could overcome the ‘£100 for a wingmirror because only OUR wingmirror fits your car’ problem.

But, I mentioned this to Pootergeek, and it seems that someone is working on this idea. It's here: http://www.theoscarproject.org/

NB. It has three wheels :-(


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Couldn't you just have typed " I know absolutely sod all about the car industry" and saved yourself some typing?