Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Necrosis

The Manchester Student rag, Students Direct has been annexed by the SWP. They are a bit like a necrotising agent, aren’t they?

In the late ‘80s, I gained almost the only elected position of my lifetime as the editor of Kingston Polytechnic’s student mag, The Crez (don’t ask - I can't remember why it was called that).

A few RCP members didn’t fully understand representative democracy, and they kept trying to get student union meetings to instruct me to carry their articles.

Finally, I relented.

“I’ll publish anything that you write….” I told them, “…as long as it doesn’t contain any of the words 'Living', 'Marxism', 'Revolutionary', 'Communist', 'Party', 'Furedi', 'Ireland', 'Next', 'Step' or 'Palestine'."

And that was the end of that.

2 comments:

Charlie M said...

I'm sure Craig Thomas would remember the reason behind the name.......


And while we're talking KPSU and RCP - remember this person?

http://www.instituteofideas.com/people/claire_fox.html

Paulie said...

Wow. Craig Thomas - that brings back memories.

I remember Claire vividly. Still see her around occasionally.