Monday, October 23, 2006

Ingratiating?

Is there any sight in the world that is more annoying than Bono?

Three songs were on the radio earlier today within about an hour or so, all having changes hidden in them that suggest other songs:
  1. U2's raunchy 'Vertigo', the start of chorus reminds me of The Supremes 'Keep me hanging on'. Apologies for the odious comparison, by the way.
  2. Bedouin Soundclash's rather good 'The Night Feels My Song' has got loads of the changes from Toots' 'Pressure Drop'
  3. The Lost Prophets peice of trendy nihilism, 'A Town Called Hypocrisy', sounds like Ricky Martin's 'Livin' La Vida Loca' (along with a bit of a nicked riff from 'Eton Rifles')
  4. The not-bad 'Never be lonely' by 'The Feeling' is uncannily like 'Our House' by CSNY.
We have Radio One on in the office a lot of the time (though we sometimes switch around other stations), and it's a mixed blessing. But Paolo Nutini's 'Jenny Don't Be Hasty' is a real grower. Forceful, unpretentious and likeable. The polar opposite, in fact to the unconvincing, oft-played and awful Scissor Sisters' 'I don't feel like dancin''

And why are the Scissor Sisters so exasperating? For a band that are so unbearable on so many levels, I set myself the Herculean task of coming up with one word that sums them up.

At the moment, the favourite is 'ingratiating'. Does anyone know what I mean by this? And is there a better word beyond the bounds of profanity?

2 comments:

Ivan said...

I'm with you on Bono. Can't stand the man. Arse. Wanker.
This is an old story, but just about sums it up:

Bono is on stage. He raises his hands above his head and starts clapping. 'Every time I clap my hands (clap), a child in Africa (clap) dies.'
From the audience someone shouts 'Well stop fucking clapping then'.

Tim Almond said...

I'm with you on the Scissor Sisters. They seem to bask in their own sense of how outrageous and dangerous they are to be a camp band...

...20 years after the BBC allowed Relax to be played.