In Co.Mayo the other week, I had a pint with a few people of my own age. For some reason, they all support Liverpool. It was Cup Final day and they were all nearly unbearable.
But they all had the same answer to the defining question of the age: Would they prefer....
- Liverpool to win the European Champions League
- Eire to with the World Cup, or...
- Co. Mayo to win the All Ireland (Irish football) final?
Though I'm an International Citizen of the World, in my case, the order is....
- Forest to win absolutely anything
- Mayo to win the All Ireland
- Any international team that has an Forest or ex-Forest player (apart from one that left leaving a bad smell). Trinidad and Tobago with Stern John!
- Any British Isles team to do well in international competition
The boy is supporting the Czech Republic this summer (he likes the Forest-style kit, which is as good a reason as any to support them, I reckon).
Apropos of this, a Councillor in the West Midlands has come up with an interesting basis for choosing which international team to follow. On a previous International, he explained that....
"....I want White Denmark to beat the mongrel "England" team..."Lovely.
PS: One for Rockmother. Pursey on anthems.