Tuesday, May 16, 2006

The end of an era



Norman Balon will be ending his tenure at Soho's Coach & Horses next week (22nd May) according to Wikipedia.

This is a shame, but times change. And Norman's retirement won't even come as a releif to any of the legion of Londoners that he has barred from the establishment. I know, because I've been barred twice myself, without ever having a problem getting served within a few days of the fracas in question.

My offence on one of the occasions was to arrive with a head wound, but no permit for it. There was a Poll Tax riot on at the time, so I think he should have made an exception.

But Norman was, it seems, in favour of the Poll Tax (apparently it was fairly kind to dyspeptic pub landlords).

2 comments:

Skuds said...

The end of an era indeed. I have never actually been to the pub in question, but I was fortunate enough to see Peter O'Toole in Jeffrey Barnard is Unwell when it was first produced.

Anonymous said...

I went into the C&H many times in the early 80's when I was working around the corner. Basicaly, I went in to see who this rude man was - and kept going back. The last real pub will soon be revamped as I doubt that Alastair will want the ghost of Norman hanging over him for too long. RIP C&H and thanks for the memories of my adolescence.