Thursday, April 20, 2006

Unforeseen benefit of the Euston Manifesto debate

I've been blogging for about one year now. And I've been trying to get people interested in a debate about representative democracy (and my contention that it is being chipped away at, and that this is a bad thing). You won't need to scroll very far....

At the same time, I've tried (often without success) to stay out of political bunfights. I share a lot of Chris Dillow’s dislike for the way that politics is discussed. In particular, the obsession with court politics strikes me as one of the first signs of madness. A madness that I was once afflicted with, I might add.

So, getting involved in the Euston Manifesto discussion is something that, in theory, I shouldn't be doing. It isn't 'court politics' (therefore not a symptom of mental collapse), but it IS one of those discussions that often brings the worst out in people.

In this case, though, bringing out the worst in a particular section of the political class is something that has needed doing for a long time. Lancing the boil, so to speak. A lot of the non-signers that I've spoken to have, at least acknowledged that the political left has a serious problem that can't be allowed to fester for too much longer.


********
BUT, I was very pleasantly surprised to see that the Manifesto has provoked a discussion about representative democracy. Something I've been desperate to do since I set up my blog - and something I've largely failed on.

It starts here: Read on....

No comments: