Monday, March 20, 2006

Come and join us (as long as you're not a journalist)

Now that the Groan has it's own blog, we can have a more realistic discussion about how the mainstream media can adapt to this new media.

The doctor thinks that they can adapt it to their purposes. I'm not convinced yet though.

For the same reason that police authorities can't do this, so it's true that newspapers can't either. A lot of journalists, in particular, don't like the 'line-by-line' dissection that they get from bloggers. Robert Fisk has an aversion, apparently. After all, blogging threatens the gentleman amateur nature of some schools of journalism.

Good.

As bloggers, we play out our obsessions, and we can descend on our prey in a feeding frenzy. Have a look at Harry's Place whenever the benighted Madeline Bunting writes anything. I doubt if journalists ever have had their work as comprehensively and righteously trashed before blogging came along.

But most importantly, writing your own blog helps us (the royal 'we') to develop our ideas. I take RSS feeds from about three dozen blogs and skim them every day. I'm interested in local democracy from both a professional and personal point of view.

As I often don't know what I think till I read what I write, my blog helps me to direct my work. It's changed the way that I approach the business that I'm in. I've met new people as a result. It weeds out all of the people that actually have something to say, and I find that bloggers are often quite substantial people.

Having substance is not always a good career move: Perhaps blogging will even change this in the fullness of time?

I'm also interested in the re-alignment of the left that is happening post 9/11, and the detailed arguments that bloggers have provided has allowed me to trust my own instincts more.

Whereas I often kept quiet because no-one was stating what I thought to be the obvious (I thought that I must be wrong for a reason that no-one had told me), now I'm involved in a dialogue with people who share - and are helping me develop - my views.

And, as a Nottingham Forest blogger, I'm increasingly privy to discussions that I was unaware of beforehand.

Go on. If you don't blog already, start. You won't realise how beneficial it can be until you do.

Here's a blog software comparison chart. Go figure.

1 comment:

MatGB said...

That comparison chart is way off on Blogger.

If you use blogger to FTP, you can file upload easily, it has image thumbnailing for posts and allows comment moderation. And the latter two functions are available in a basic blogspot account as well.

I'm still most likely to go for blogger for what I'm planning, easiest way to let users configure their own sub pages, etc.

Got you mail, but need to think a bit about commitments...