Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Still left wing then?

A few random peices from the arguments around the UK & US involvement in Iraq:

Hak Mao on the moral racism - the different standards that are applied to human rights issues. I made a half-hearted attempt at excusing this here a few days ago, but I shouldn't really. There's no excuse for making the wrong arguments - especially if you make them for the wrong reasons.

Related to this, in the same way, so much of what passes for protest isn't about identifying the real causes of a problem, being a victim isn't about identifying who the perpetrator is - it's identifying someone who can be sued.

Comrade Rubbish on the cost of the war. You can argue that it was done in the wrong way, or for the wrong reasons, or at the wrong time. But to argue that it shouldn't have been done at all - or to bleat about the cost - then
you lose the right to be called an Internationalist.




I can understand scepticism about the war in Iraq - I've plenty of it myself. But the way it has been opposed - and the reasons for a lot of that opposition - has helped to define a completely worthless section of the left so clearly. When the term 'left wing' lumps me in with objective allies of fascism, I'm not sure that I want to be part of it any more.

3 comments:

Bemused said...

When the term 'left wing' lumps me in with objective allies of fascism, I'm not sure that I want to be part of it any more.

Good. Piss off then.

(And stop bleating yourself)

Shuggy said...

Hey Bemused - since you obviously don't have anything to say, why don't you follow your own advice?

Paulie said...

Phew! Thanks Shuggy. I was wondering how I'd be able to deal with that one.