Monday, November 14, 2005

The Martin Pipe conspiracy

I know you didn't come to this blog to read about Horse Racing. So if it bothers you, look away now. Also, bear in mind that this is my first year blogging during the National Hunt season, so there may be more to come.

Still here? OK. Do you suffer from the "(insert trainer's name here) inverse success ratio syndrome"?

I've bet my children's life savings at various times on Martin Pipe horses. If I bet on them, they rarely even finish, never mind get placed. And if I don't get to the bookie in time, they skin the field.

This never happens with any other trainers. For me anyway.

So, I was delayed on my way to the bookie to back the relatively unfancied (but triumphant)Contraband in the Arkle last year. I backed Azertuiop against Pipe's 'Well Chief' with confidence at Sandown in April only to watch it trounced.

And on Saturday, domestic duties stopped me from backing Our Vic (the disapproval in which betting is viewed in our house means I often can't fabricate circumstances that leave me unattended near a bookmakers on a Saturday morning).

This is only the tip of the iceberg. There's money to be made by anyone who can work out whether I've bet against one of Pipe's horses / not got to the bookie in time to bet on one of them.

No comments: