Monday, October 10, 2005

Inveresk's fifth (from Tom)

I've been tagged by Tom. With this:

Directions:
1. Go into your archive.
2. Find your 23rd post (or closest to).
3. Find the fifth sentence (or closest to).
4. Post the text of the sentence in your blog along with these instructions.

Here’s my result.

“The blogger.com spellcheck suggests 'partition' as a replacement for Portadown.”

The sentence reflects an occasional theme on this blog; that the less effective spellcheckers sometimes throw up prophetic quotations. Years ago, I did a lot of work around the potential damage BSkyB could do to the quality of TV – reducing the investment in original production. My spellchecker at the time suggested ‘Repeat Murder’ as a replacement for ‘Rupert Murdoch’.

The fifth sentence from my 23rd post on this blog was a link to the (now defunct) Portadown News website. But, like The Religious Policeman blog, you can spend a whole afternoon reading it. But I’d suggest that you wear incontinence pads when you do.

Which reminds me of my favourite Black Country joke (well, someone from Dudley told it me, and it is best read in that accent – thus the eccentric spelling).

Telephone Conversation:

Caller: “Hellow, is that Lloyds the Chimist”)
Callee: “Yis it is. How can oi hilp?”
Caller: “Do yow sell incontinince pads?”
Callee: “We certainly dow sir.”
Caller: “And could yow arraynge to have them delivered?”
Callee: “I’m sure we can dow that sir. If yow could just tell me where yow’re ringing frum?”
Caller: “Well, Oi’m wringing frum the waiyst dowen maowst of the time….”

As Ronnie Scott used to say “these are the jokes ladies and gentlemen.”

And I nearly forgot. I’m supposed to tag others with this. So go on Councillor Bob – what’s the 5th sentence of your 27th posting? (And you should have no problem understanding the Dudley joke). Rockmother may want to do it as well. And maybe Shuggy can be tempted back with this gentle workout?

No comments: