Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Cover version: requests

Try this yourself?

Three songs that would sound better done by someone else:

  1. I’d like to hear REM’s ‘So, Central Rain’ covered by The Beautiful South
  2. I’d like to hear The Bee Gees’ ‘To Love Somebody’ covered by The Small Faces
  3. I’d like to hear Richard Thompson’s ‘I Feel So Good’ covered by Franz Ferdinand

I’d slow REM’s song right down and let Paul Heaton’s vocals do the rest. The Bee Gees number has loads of passion, but a bit of Steve Marriot’s grunt – and perhaps a heavier bass and thicker guitar line – would lift a song that’s already great (perhaps Ocean Colour Scene are more realistic candidates for this?).

And Richard Thompson’s song needs some of the ping-pong rhythmic treatment and staccato vocals that only Franz Ferdinand can offer. Well, FF or The Gang of Four...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think the small faces ever did a cover version of To Love Somebody. the Animals did though.

Paulie said...

No - I know they didn't. That's the point. I was saying that I'd *like* to have heard what a particular band could have done with a particular song.

I reckon the Small Faces would have done a great job of it.

I didn't know that Animals did though, so thanks for the tip.