Saturday, July 09, 2005

Close to home

I thought I'd decided to only do one post here about the bombs on Thursday. I decided this for a number of reasons - ones that I couldn't put into words very well (or very creditably). They're not my best examples of high-mindedness, but this is how my mind works.

I've changed my mind. But first, my reasons for originally deciding not to post were:

1. We knew something like this would happen eventually. It's horrible. And it's happening every day somewhere in the world (more than once a day in Iraq usually). Just because I live in London, if I hold all human life dear, a disproportionate outrage about bloodshed in London is a bit out of place. It may sound a bit cold, but it's an attempt at rationality. Don't get me wrong - I'm as angry about it as anyone. It's just that I've nothing to add to what others have said about it. Especially Hitchens' view .

2. Lot's of blogs that only get one update a week have had a dozen since Thursday morning. I think that the way Londoners have partly shrugged the whole thing off and got on with things has been a fantastic gesture. I want to do the same. The perps are scumbags and I hope that London doesn't allow itself to be disfigured by this. I suppose I partly think that making a big deal about this attack is to do the bombers work for them.

3. Were a city of millions. I didn't recognise any of the names or pics in the papers today. We're such a big city that it's tempting to think that this isn't much more directly relevant to me than any other outrage. I had my day buggered up for me on Thursday, but then - hey! What's new?

But then one of my neighbours told me that the bloke a few doors down is still waiting to hear about his wife. She went into town on Thursday morning and no-one's seen her since. There've been a few official-looking visitors. I hope the next one will bring news from a hospital rather than any of the alternatives.

I don't pray, but if I did.....

3 comments:

rockmother said...

I know what you mean. I keep hearing myself saying 'I'm not religious but...' It's just the worse. Poor man. I hope they find her although to be honest it sounds doubtful now as I have read today that everyone treated at scene and/or admitted to hospital has been accounted for. I really feel for those left behind.

rockmother said...

Sorry - I meant worst not worse! I think the sun has got to me today..

IndCoup said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.