Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Bootlegging

I saw a good book at London's ICA bookshop yesterday - Thurston Moore on the artform that is the compilation cassette. Some of the best music I've heard was given to me either on a well-meaning mix-tape, or a whole-show recording of Andy Kershaw or John Peel's shows.

Some of the real gems were tracks that weren't 'first-listen-standouts.' Some of the best music of the last few decades didn't get the audience it deserved because it lacked an immediate impact.

Another artform was the ubiquitous 'bootleg' cassette from Camden Market in the '80s. Of course we should remember that home taping is killing music. So don't visit this bootleg site, do you hear?

Obviously, I didn't buy the book. I photocopied it instead.

3 comments:

Ivan said...

http://www.richcolour.com/mastermix/

Andrew said...

For all your John Peel needs.

I have to say I did love a good mix tape, and its not quite the same with MP3 playlists; I think they're too easy to put together so don't require the same amount of thought. Or juggling when you're getting to the end of the side and you don't want a song to cut off halfway through...

I'm in the process of doing a couple of mix tapes for our family holiday because there won't be a cd player and I can't go a day without music. Its reminded me how much I enjoy the process, and got me digging through my CDs that I've not done for a while.

rockmother said...

I've kept all my home-made tapes. I have a chaotic bag full of them and somehow they have been kept intact through many moves over the years - firstly out of home, various student hovels and have even survived four burglaries! It was so frustrating when my favourite pirate station got shut down. Oh, it's not the same as it used to be!!! And here am I, nearly forty - I've embraced the digital age but I still hanker after the clunk of the pause button and the accidental rewind sound of the tape as you cut to the next song...